Mercedes Benz have announced that they have purchased a controlling 75% stake in the Brawn GP team.
The German automobile giant had been speculated with a move to Ross Brawn’s championship winning team, which it supplied engines too in 2009, since September and today’s announcement seeked to tidy up the paddock thoughts ahead of 2010 preparations.
It is now likely that Brawn, who won both titles in their maiden season, will be re-named Mercedes Benz Grand Prix however Ross Brawn will stay on as Team Principal alognside Norbert Haug of Mercedes Motorsport.
Mercedes Benz will also be pulling out of McLaren with the team having to buy back the 40% shares over 2 years, but remain with the German’s as an engine supplier until 2015.
Jenson Button is now set to go to McLaren to race alongside Lewis Hamilton, the Briton visited the factory earlier this week. He claims not to be motivated by cash in the move, however his salary is likely to be greater than the £3.5million Brawn offered him.
With Nico Rosberg looking ever more likely to head to the new Mercedes GP team, Nick Heidfeld is a suprise team mate choice, Norberg Haug says he has held various meetings with the perennial underperformer ousted from BMW this season.
“We are speaking with Nick Heidfeld as well,” Haug told DPA.
“Mercedes-Benz supports the idea of signing an experienced and capable German driver. There is however no reason to finalise the driver situation too hastily.”
More news this evening.
November 16, 2009 | Categories: Brawn GP, F1 Business, F1 News, McLaren, Mercedes Benz GP | Tags: Brackley, Brawn Mercedes, Cologne, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, McLaren Mercedes, Mercedes Benz, Mercedes Benz F1, Mercedes Benz Grand Prix, Mercedes buy Brawn, Nick Heidfeld, Nico Rosberg, Norberg Haug, Ron Dennis, Ross Brawn | Leave a comment